- 300g potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 250g home-cooked chickpeas (or a 400g can)
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 10cm piece of cucumber, diced
- 1 small mango, peeled and diced ( a ‘raw’ or unripe mango would be fabulous)
- 2.5cm knob of fresh ginger, finely diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 3-4 fresh green chillies, finely diced
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 1 tsp grated jaggery (or muscovado sugar)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and crushed but not completely ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed but not completely ground
- 1 tsp amchur (sour green mango powder)
- A large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender, then dice roughly. Meanwhile, put the drained chickpeas into a large bowl with the diced tomatoes, cucumber, mango, ginger and onion. Taste your chillies before adding – the salad is usually pretty pokey, but the level of heat is up to you. Stir in the lime juice, zest, 1 tsp salt, sugar and spices.
Turn the diced potato into the salad (too much stirring and you’ll have a mushy mess) and sprinkle over the coriander. Check the seasoning. This should be mouth-puckeringly sour, so do add more amchur or lime juice if required.
If you can’t make it to the Market, Borough Market Online offers a wide selection of our traders’ produce, delivered direct to London addresses and, where available, by post to the rest of the UK. The service also includes a range of Best of Borough Market hampers and meal boxes.