For the pasilla adobo
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 dried pasilla chillies, halved (and deseeded, if you prefer less heat), or ancho chillies
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
For the mushrooms
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml neutral oil
- 500g mixed wild mushrooms, roughly chopped into equal pieces
- 2 fresh jalapeño chillies, sliced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 5-6 tbsp (20g) coriander leaves
- ¼ white onion, sliced
- 300g soft goat’s cheese
- 1 lime, quartered
First make the adobo. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil on a medium heat, until they start to colour, then add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins, until they soften and start to break down. In a separate frying pan, toast the chillies on both sides, add to the tomato pan with the oregano and cook on a low heat for 15 mins. Blend to a rough paste, season and set aside.
Now for the mushrooms. Fry the garlic in the oil on a medium heat until it has softened but not coloured, add the mushrooms and jalapeños, and cook until the mushrooms go golden. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Heat the oven to 110C and toast the tortillas for about 15 mins, turning once, until they crisp up (or dry-fry for 3 mins on each side). Mix the coriander with the sliced onion. Put the still warm pasilla adobo in a shallow serving bowl and arrange the mushrooms and goat’s cheese on top. Finish with the onion and coriander mix and a healthy squeeze of lime juice. Serve with the tostadas.
Image: Issy Croker
If you can’t make it to the Market, Borough Market Online offers a wide selection of our traders’ produce, delivered direct to London addresses and, where available, by post to the rest of the UK. The service also includes a range of Best of Borough Market hampers and meal boxes.